PhD Opportunity – Aalborg University, DenmarkTags: PhD Opportunity
16th October 2019
PhD STIPEND IN STRATEGIC AND SUSTAINABLE DESIGN (7-19067)
Over the last 30 years, the average lifetime of products has decreased significantly. This means that every day we throw away products, which have cost significant resources and valuable materials to produce. This PhD project is set up with the ambition of approaching this challenge. The PhD project focuses on products that are ‘designed to last’ and hereby it supports UN’s 12th global goal of: ‘ensuring sustainable consumption and production patterns’.
More concretely, the aim of the PhD project is to create knowledge on long-life products that are usable in small and medium-sized companies. This knowledge should help small and medium-sized companies to understand, what it would mean to their company, if they create products with a longer lifetime, both with respect to the product’s design as well as with respect to the company’s business model and competitive position on the market.
As part of the PhD project, the candidate will do research in companies, who are already developing long-life products. Based on this research, the PhD candidate will support the conceptual development of new ‘long-lasting’ products in four small or medium-sized companies.
The project is divided into three major parts:
- A best practice study on companies, who develop long-lasting products
- An implementation study. Here a model is developed, to support the creation of long-lasting products and business-concepts. This model is tested in four small or medium-sized companies.
- Development of communication material focusing on the project’s activities and conclusions. As well as dissemination of this to a network of small and medium-sized companies.
The PhD project will also include a mandatory stay abroad of 3-6 months at a relevant university or research facility.
The PhD scholarship has a duration of three years. Applicants to the PhD scholarship must hold a degree equivalent to a Danish Master’s degree. Applicants enrolled at a Danish Master’s programme who expect to graduate before the date of appointment must forward statement from thesis supervisor, verified transcripts, a copy of thesis contract and documentation for the date of their final exam.
Please find information on admission requirements for PhD positions on the website of the Doctoral School https://www.phd.tech.aau.dk/
We are looking for a talented and ambitious candidate with the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree in design or related fields.
- Ability to work independently as well as the ability to initiate and collaborate with companies.
- Excellent English speaking and writing skills to accommodate scientific work and dissemination purposes. Danish speaking skills will be an advantage.
- Promising academic records, well trained in applying scientific research methods. The application for the PhD scholarship must include:
- A motivated application
- CV documenting university degree(s)
- Reflections on the project description and the achievement of this.
You may obtain further information from Associate Professor Louise Møller Haase, phone: +45 61469372, email: concerning the scientific aspects of the stipend.
PhD stipends are allocated to individuals who hold a Master’s degree. PhD stipends are normally for a period of 3 years. It is a prerequisite for allocation of the stipend that the candidate will be enrolled as a PhD student at the Technical Doctoral School of IT and Design in accordance with the regulations of Ministerial Order No. 1039 of August 27, 2013, on the PhD Programme at the Universities and Certain Higher Artistic Educational Institutions. According to the Ministerial Order, the progress of the PhD student shall be assessed at regular points in time. It is a prerequisite for continuation of salary payment that the previous progress is approved at the time of the evaluation.
The qualifications of the applicant will be assessed by an assessment committee. On the basis of the recommendation of the assessment committee, the Dean of the Technical Faculty of IT and Design will make a decision for allocating the stipend.
Click here for more information.